G.D. Vajra, Langhe Freisa Kye 2015Regular price $50.00 Save $-50.00
The G.D. Vajra winery was created in 1972 by Aldo and Milena Vaira, initially from vineyards planted by Aldo’s father in 1947. The winery was named for Aldo’s father, Giuseppe Domenico Vaira, because at the time Aldo was not old enough to establish the winery in his own name. The spelling of the family name (Vaira) is different from the label (Vajra) for this reason: in 1918 the “j” was eliminated from most Italian words, so the Vaira family changed their spelling. However, the design of the wine label looked like a “j” so they kept the original spelling for the winery. Today the family has 40 hectares under vine in Barolo and other surrounding appellations. Their prized holdings in Bricco delle Viole were planted in 1949 by Aldo’s grandfather. Milena and Aldo’s three children – Giuseppe, Francesca, and Isidoro – are all involved in the family winery operation situated in the village of Vergne.