NOBLE ROT is what I believe to be some of the best and most playful writing happening in the wine world today. The magazine is full of great stories about many of the wines and the lifestyle that has shaped whom I am. Food + Wine + Music ties the magazine together.
Please help support all of us visionaries in the wine story world to keep story telling.
NOBLE ROT ISSUE 22 // WINE JOURNALRegular price $19.00 Save $-19.00
Issue 22 – THE DIFFICULT SECOND ALBUM
Published March 2020
In the cork poppin’, gut bustin’, merry makin’ new issue of Noble Rot magazine...
…we spotlight the wines of Catalonia and Jurançon, as well as Burgundy’s often under-appreciated Aligoté. From Els Jelepins and Pepe Raventos to Sylvain Pataille and the uber-cult Clos Joliette, we tell the stories behind some of Europe’s most exciting domaines
…we meet the ‘hedonist in the cellar’, novelist and wine writer Jay McInerney
…we travel to Épernay to taste a bottle of 1895 Pol Roger recently excavated from the site of the domaine’s historic 1900 cellar collapse, and ask how wines age.
…we take a retrospective look at 150 years of Soho restaurant culture, and Suzanne Moore celebrates Greek St’s famous Gay Hussar. Notorious in its day for being the lair of many a plotting politician, it will re-open as Noble Rot Soho in late-spring 2020
…we feature stories about Ballymaloe Cookery School, the 30th anniversary of Marco Pierre White’s White Heat and Emilia Romagna gastronomy, as well as reviews, recipes and musings from Simon Hopkinson, Marina O’Loughlin, Alastair Little, Andrew Jefford, Stephen Harris, Tom Brown, Russell Norman, Rowley Leigh, George Reynolds, Zeren Wilson, Simon J Woolf, Nina Caplan, Henry Harris, Morgan Dunn and John Niven, among much more...
NOBLE ROT ISSUE 21 // WINE JOURNALRegular price $19.00 Save $-19.00
Issue 21 – LIQUID MEMORIES
Published Friday 25th October
In the cork poppin’, gut bustin’, merry makin’ new issue of Noble Rot magazine...
...we tell the story of how cult domaines Emidio Pepe and Valentini rewrote the reputation of Abruzzese wine
...we meet Hugh Johnson, one of the most popular and erudite wine writers of all time, to discuss working for Château Latour, moving back to London, and what it’s like to drink a 1540 German Steinwein(spoiler – it was nice)
…we delve into hip hop DJ and producer Madlib’s padded wine suitcase and find rare bottles of Le Montrachet and Keller ‘G-Max’which he keeps refreshed with on tour
…celebrated American novelist Jay McInerney writes about his greatest ever meal, at Ferran Adrià’s El Bulli
…we feature stories about Burgundy, wine bottle art, Roman food and restaurants, fondue, Moscow restaurant Twins Garden’s vegetable wines, as well as reviews, recipes and musings from, Fay Maschler, Simon Hopkinson,Marina O’Loughlin, Alastair Little, Lee Tiernan of Black Axe Mangal, Jon Bonné, Russell Norman, Rachel Roddy, Meredith Erickson, George Reynolds, Zeren Wilson, John Niven, and Jeremy Chan of Ikoyi among much more…
NOBLE ROT ISSUE 20 // WINE JOURNALRegular price $19.00 Save $-19.00
Issue 20 - Back to Life
PUblished July 1st, 2019
we spotlight Tenerife and Portuguese wine. From island cover stars Envínate and Suertes del Marques, to the historic vineyards of Colares near Lisbon, we profile some of Europe’s most exciting winemakers
we meet one of Britain’s best loved cookery writers Nigel Slater and taste a selection of Noble Rot’s specially made wine and food pairing ice creams
we celebrate the release of alt-synth-poppers Hot Chip’s new album over dinner at Wandsworth’s Chez Bruce. As well as the inside scoop on their passions for music and gastronomy, we get their verdict on a selection of cuvees from La Dive Bouteille, France’s original natural wine event, also profiled in this issue
Mike Diamond from The Beastie Boys offers a ‘Hip-Hop Guide to Buying Wine on a Date’
we feature stories about Umbria’s Paulo Bea, Châteauneuf-du-Pape, the early days of the Michelin Guide, and matching wine and chilli, as well as reviews, recipes and musings from Pierre Koffmann, Simon Hopkinson, Marina O’Loughlin, Alastair Little, Tomos Parry, Jon Bonné, Russell Norman, Tim Hayward, Rowley Leigh, Ruby Tandoh, George Reynolds, Zeren Wilson, Morgan Dunn and John Niven, among much more...
NOBLE ROT ISSUE 19 // WINE JOURNALRegular price $19.00 Save $-19.00
Issue 19 - Shrine to the Vine
In the cork poppin’, gut bustin’, merry makin’ new Noble Rot magazine...
we meet queen of wine lovers Jancis Robinson to talk restaurants and whether Marxism is compatible with an appetite for expensive Claret.
we spotlight the Jura, Savoie and Brunello di Montalcino. From Jean-François Ganevat and cover star Julien Labet, to Gianfranco Soldera and Stella di Campalto, we get the heart of the region’s most exciting wines.
we take a humorous look at wine and food trends in 2019.
... we go on a gastronomic tour of Florence, and visit JKS restaurants’ founder Karam Sethi’s favourite London curry restaurants.
we feature stories about football & wine, pasta and pecorino and reviews and musings from Fay Maschler, Simon Hopkinson, Marina O’Loughlin, Angela Hartnett, Jon Bonné, Russell Norman, Rowley Leigh, Kate Spicer, George Reynolds, Zeren Wilson and John Niven, among much more...
NOBLE ROT ISSUE 18 // Wine JournalRegular price $19.00 Save $-19.00
Issue 18 - Return of the Winos With Attitude
• ...we meet ‘domestic goddess' Nigella Lawson, who talks fame, food and sounding like a Florentine greengrocer with Marina O’Loughlin.
• ...we spotlight Mosel Riesling. From the most fashionable dry wines of the late 1800s to the rise and fall of off-dry styles following the Second World War, we visit Egon Müller-Scharzhof, Heymann-Löwenstein and Joh Jos Prüm to ask if the real face of Mosel Riesling will please stand up.
• ...we profile Noble Rot's Greatest Television Cooks of all Time, featuring Keith Floyd, Delia Smith, Fanny Craddock, Anthony Bourdain and David Chang, among others.
• ...take an epic tour of Madrid’s restaurant and wine scene.
• ...feature stories about exciting Spanish winemakers Comando G, Wine Jargon Codebreakers, Stephen Harris’ revolutionary new wine course, the Ol’ Tasting Menu Blues, Rum Baba and reviews and musings from Simon Hopkinson, Marina O’Loughlin, Russell Norman, Claire Smyth, Rowley Leigh, Kate Spicer, Georges Reynolds, William Kelley and John Niven, among much more...
Noble Rot Issue 16 // Wine JournalRegular price $19.00 Save $-19.00
Published 1st March 2018
The new instalment of Noble Rot is another righteous journey through the best in food and wine where we...
• Spotlight Burgundy’s next winemaking stars including Domaine Cecile Tremblay, Bernard Moreau and Sylvain Pataille.
• Listen in to Diana Henry interviewing Californian food trailblazer Alice Waters.
• Meet singer Baxter Dury to talk Loire reds, making the album of his career, and growing up around “bonkers” musical icon dad, Ian Dury.
• Uncover some mythical gastronomic texts in Rotters’ Lost Cookbooks. Written by the good and the great of British cuisine, these are the recipe books you almost certainly will not have on your shelves.
• Feature profiles on Joško Gravner, Henri Jayer, the Manchester kebab revolution and the world of super-deluxe wine tastings, with stories, reviews and musings from Marina O’Loughlin, Simon Hopkinson, Stephen Harris, Rowley Leigh, Russell Norman, Olia Hercules, Neal Martin and John Niven, among much more...
Noble Rot Issue 14 // Wine JournalRegular price $19.00 Save $-19.00
Wine On The Edge-
Published 19th June 2017
In the righteous new summer instalment of Noble Rot we...
Meet 'the good cook' Simon Hopkinson over lunch at London's 6 Portland Rd.
Visit Ribeira Sacra's vertigo-inducing vineyards, currently producing some of Spain's most exciting red wines.
Celebrate the last 30 years of British food in 30 iconic dishes.
Have 'a quick snifter' with Belgium's finest electronic music makers Soulwax.
Take a gut-busting tour of San Sebastian, the Basque Country's gastronomic mecca.
Meet the characters behind Russell Norman's favourite Venetian restaurants and bars.
Ask a cast of Rotters including Diana Henry, Fergus Henderson and Rowley Leigh to invent some new words for our Food & /wine Dictionary, a must read for all those suffering from fallergies, waggamumbles, or simply obsessed by neagh.
Among much more...